As the digital landscape continually evolves, so do the processes and policies governing our online business tools. A significant development has emerged regarding Google Business Profiles, a cornerstone for online business presence. Recently, Google has rolled out a new, stricter appeals process for suspended Google Business Profiles in the United States, a change that demands immediate attention and understanding from American business owners.
In our previous blog post, we discussed the introduction of this appeals process in the EU. Its implementation showcased a shift towards more stringent regulations and a narrower path to reinstatement. Now, this process is at the doorstep of American businesses, carrying implications that are both crucial and challenging.
The New U.S. Appeals Process: Key Changes
Previously, appealing a Google Business Profile suspension involved a simple form, where you’d confirm basic business details and justify the reinstatement. The feedback from Google on denied appeals was often vague, but you always had the option to re-appeal.
The new system, however, emphasizes clarity but allows less room for error. It informs businesses precisely which Google policy was violated. The catch? There’s only one chance to appeal, with a strict 60-minute deadline for submitting relevant business documents.
The Revised Appeals Process: Step-by-Step
- Email Notification: You’ll receive an email detailing the suspension reason and a link to Google’s quality guidelines. Be sure to review these quality guidelines in depth, and then edit your business profile to fix any violations.
- Evidence Gathering: Prepare documentation pertinent to your business. Most often, Google will request that you provide a copy of any business registration documents you may have, or any relevant licenses. If you do not have or cannot find your business registration, you may be able to substitute a utility bill, so long as this bill contains your business’s name and address. It is important that whatever documents you submit clearly showcase your business’s name and address, as Google needs these documents to verify that your business actually exists.
- Google Account Access: Log in to the account associated with the suspended Google Business Profile, and access the profile.
- 60-Minute Appeal Window: Once you’ve began filing your appeal, you will only have 60 minutes to complete it. This strict time limit means you cannot afford to be unprepared. If your appeal gets denied for lack of evidence, you will not have the opportunity to try again— so be sure to do it right the first time!
- Await Google’s Decision: After submission, a Google employee reviews your case, and you’ll be notified of the outcome via email.
Key Points to Remember:
- One Shot at Appeal: It is important that the content of your appeal is accurate, and that you fill the form out completely, as you only get one chance.
- No Visible Timer: Google does not make their 60-minute timer visible on-screen, so please be sure to keep an eye on the clock as you file your appeal.
- Multiple Documents: If you have multiple documents to submit to Google, that’s great! You will need to use a zip file. Make sure the documents within this folder are clearly labelled.
Why Professional Assistance is Essential
Understanding the intricacies of Google’s policies and articulating a compelling appeal requires expertise. The reduced opportunities for appeal mean that any mistake or oversight could lead to permanent suspension. It’s no longer just about submitting an appeal; it’s about submitting the right appeal. Professional assistance becomes not just beneficial but potentially business-saving.
Acting Wisely in the Face of Suspension
For business owners, learning of a suspension can be distressing. However, it’s crucial to respond thoughtfully. Rash decisions or hurried appeals can lead to irreversible consequences. Taking the time to review your situation, understand the specific reasons for suspension, and preparing a thorough, well-structured appeal is essential. This is where professional guidance can make a decisive difference— so, if your Google Business Profile gets suspended, please do not hesitate to give us a call. At Prospect Genius, we have a proven track record, reinstating suspended Google Business Profiles with a 95% success rate. We are eager to help you get your Google Business Profile back online.
The introduction of Google’s new appeals process in the United States marks a significant shift in how businesses must handle their online presence. With stakes higher than ever, the margin for error has dramatically narrowed. As experts in managing Google Business Profiles, Prospect Genius is here to help navigate these complex waters. By partnering with us, you can ensure that your small business’s Google Business Profile is being handled correctly and effectively, safeguarding your business’s online presence and future.